Faith Presbyterian Anchorage
Faith Church of Anchorage was started as a project of faith by the pastor Rev. R. Rolland Armstrong and members of First Presbyterian Church, Anchorage. For several years it was maintained as a chapel with a building being constructed at 12th and E Streets in the fall of 1944.
Bert Bingle presided at the organizing meeting December 15, 1947. The Rev. Frederick B. Koschmann had been ordained September 10, 1947, and was to be pastor for the new congregation.
The churchís first elders were Myron Stevens and Don Morrison. Trustees were J. Hamblin, Mrs. J. M. Richardson, and Mrs. Eldon Gallear. There were 15 charter members:
Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Nelson,
Mrs. Ray Morriss
Mr. and Mrs. J. Hamblin
Mrs. E. Gallear
Mrs. J. M. Richardson
Mr. J. Garlock
Mrs. K. Strengel
Mrs. F. Koschmann
Mr. and Mrs. Myron Stearns
A lot was purchased at 14th and Gambell in May of 1949 and a new structure was built. The Rev. Koschmann left on November 20, 1949, to accept a call to the First Presbyterian Church in Fairbanks.
The church then called the Rev. Fred J. Telecky of Auke Bay on December 18, 1949, effective January 1, 1950. Telecky was installed March 26, 1950 and served until May 1, 1953.
The Rev. Winthrop H. Ware served as interim pastor from the summer of 1953 through July 18, 1954.
The Rev. John Seibert accepted a call to the church July 18, 1954 and served until March 31, 1957 when he left to serve on the Foreign Mission field in India.
The Rev. Lowell M. Campbell of Gambell, Alaska, was installed as pastor April 7, 1957. The year 1957 stated and ended with exactly 121 persons on the active membership roll, a rather healthy number by Alaskan small church standards.
In 1949 the church accepted the challenge to pay $450 toward its pastorís salary. On January 1, 1956, it voted to continue on faith and become a self-supporting congregation.
However, space was getting tight and discussions began regarding a possible merger with the nearby Woodland Park congregation. Faith requested dissolution of the pastoral relationship with Campbell effective March 27, 1960, the date of their merger with the Woodland Park Presbyterian Church.
Back to Contents