Presbytery Embarks on Other Specialized Ministries

Hospitality House

 National missions committee of Presbytery of Yukon passed a resolution during spring 1957 meeting asking that the Board of National Missions appropriate money to buy or build a Hospitality Center in Alaska. Doors were opened that same year at 1406 Airport Way, Fairbanks, with three girls as residents.

Hospitality House came into being because of the need for a place for rural girls to live while looking for work in Fairbanks, going to and from school, or, while in town for medical care. Hospitality House was operated by the Board of National Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the USA, and was additionally supported by gifts from other churches and individuals. No girl was refused admittance because of race, creed or Alaska residency.

Hospitality House attempted to assist girls in making the cultural transition from rural to urban living through: